Blog Template Theology of the Body: Helpful Bob Dylan

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Helpful Bob Dylan



... a friend of mine shared with me this morning that she had appropriated some lyrics of Dylan in a recent opportunity to share the Gospel. She described it thus:

"I thought you'd be proud of my recent conversation with a yoga friend... It was one of my boldest (and I hope not too flippant) testimonies of faith."

J: I like to start off the day with some pranayama.
A: Yeah, I like to start it off with some prayer.
J: Out of curiosity, who do you pray to?
A: Jesus.
J: Really?
A: Yup, he's the boss. As Bob Dylan says, you gotta serve
somebody.

(Here are the lyrics:)

You may be an ambassador to England or France, You may like to gamble, you might like to dance, You may be the heavyweight champion of the world, You may be a socialite with a long string of pearls But you're gonna have to serve somebody, yes indeed You're gonna have to serve somebody, Well, it may be the devil or it may be the Lord, But you're gonna have to serve somebody.

... Way to go, A!!!