Blog Template Theology of the Body: Pax Christi

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Pax Christi

All of us need to respond to our Lord by making a good confession from time to time.

(Why more Protestants don't regularly obey the command to "confess your sins one to another and pray for each other so that you may be healed" (James 5:16) is beyond me; and though lots of us have our "accountability partners" for such purposes, why one would not seek out the Trained and Ordained for this purpose is also beyond me).

The Church exhorts the following about its sacrament/practice of penance and reconciliation:

1. We have sins. Lots of them
2. Only God can forgive sins
3. Jesus Christ came into the world to save all people from the power of Satan, sin, and the consequence of sin, which is death, and thus to reconcile us to His Father
4. Jesus gave to the Apostles the power to forgive sins: "If you forgive anyone's sins, they are forgiven. If you retain anyone's sins, they are retained." (John 20:22-23)
5. In order to receieve Reconciliation worthily, the sinner must be sorry for his sins out of perfect contrition, which is love for God (if the sinner doesnt have this sense, she should ask for it!); the sinner must make a firm purpose of amendment to avoid the sin committed as well as the circumstances which prompted the sin; and the sinner must examine her conscience for direct, conscious and free violations of any of the following-

You shall have no other gods before me. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain. Remember the Lord's Day and keep it holy. Honor your Father and Mother. You shall not kill. You shall not commit adultery. You shall not steal. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor. You shall not desire your neighbor's spouse or posessions. Etc.

An Act of Contrition from St. Martin de Porres-

"Oh my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended you. I detest all my sins because I dread the loss of Heaven and the pains of Hell, but most of all because they offend you, my God, who are all loving and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of your grace, to confess my sins, and to make reconciliation and to amend my life."

Now go find a confessional, please.