Blog Template Theology of the Body: The Simple Life: Laundry...

Thursday, March 15, 2007

The Simple Life: Laundry...

For quite a while now, I have been thinking about adding a column entitled "The Simple Life." My wife and I live on my stipend alone, and have found a number of great ways to embrace simplicity. From time to time, I plan to collaborate with her to plan these postings. But, today, I thought I would start with laundry.

My wife is the environmentalist of the two of us. The question for us has been how we can be low-impact and still save money. Much of that will be covered in later postings, but I thought I would reveal our money-saving, low-impact tip of the month.

Make your own laundry detergent!

The recipe is this:
1 Cup Grated Fels Naptha Soap
1/2 Cup Arm and Hammer Washing Soda
1/2 Cup 20 Mule Team Borax

We found the ingredients at our local Central Market and Ela threw everything together, with a few drops of Peppermint essential oil. It smells wonderful, and only takes 2 tablespoons for large loads. It works like a charm, and costs about 2-3 cents per load! We're thinking we'll use lavender oil next time.