Blog Template Theology of the Body: My new hero

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

My new hero


I stumbled across this little tome in Barnes & Noble a couple weeks ago and have hardly been able to put it down. It's a nice little introduction to rhetoric, logic, and philosophy for those of us whose education has been a little lacking in some (alas, very key) areas. The author, Mortimer J. Adler was a philosophy professor at Chicago and organized the "Great Books" project. Not to my surprise--but wholly to my delight--Adler converted to the Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic faith before his death in 2001. Of his conversion he said,

"My chief reason for choosing Christianity was because the mysteries were incomprehensible. What's the point of revelation if we could figure it out ourselves? If it were wholly comprehensible, then it would just be another philosophy."