Blog Template Theology of the Body: Matthew

Monday, November 21, 2005

Matthew




Matthew 25:34-40
New International Version

34"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

I am wondering whether we have any good examples of this passage being lived out in the life of the Church; where did you last see this verse obeyed?

I have to go with Stanely Hauerwas on this one, personally; his favorite example of this kind of activity is exemplified in the life of Henri Nowen, the Yale professor who spent the last years of his life living in L'arche Communities with the mentally disabled- to quote Stanley, "that's just the Kingdom." Why? Maybe because it's so unglamorous, so without notoriety, so incongruous. I'm trying to figure it out myself...