Blog Template Theology of the Body: The New Faithful

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

The New Faithful


Have any of you ever had the rather narcissistic experience of surveying cultural surveys at Barnes and Noble, and thinking (like those of us who were ever naughty enough to scan a horoscope, perhaps) "Woah, that's ME! These people have got me so figured out!" It feels great- a sigh of relief- so there IS a box which neatly circumscribes my identity...

I had such an experience the other day while staying at the home of a modern cultural revolutionary. Her library is so sleek and effective, and I have enormous respect for it. Thus, even though I was stumbling into her guestroom bed at 2 AM after a return flight to New York from London, I had to browse quickly through this title on her shelf, thinking that at last, here is something that will explain me and my friends to our concerned parents! I think I am on to something. The title is The New Faithful: Why Young Adults are Embracing Christian Orthodoxy, and in it, the author purports to explain why an apparent emphasis on orthodoxy and ancient liturgical tradition among young educated elite is "both novel and timely." The author addresses in particular the record-breaking conversion rates in conservative Catholic and Orthodox churches, and the rising voices of young people who yearn for conservative interpretations of the Bible, the mystery and symbolism of liturgy, and even such pre-Vatican II practices as Eucharistic adoration... (I love it.)

I have just purchased several copies for myself and my perplexed family. At last, a credible and hopefully reassuring summary for those parents of ours who were so comfortable with exploring the realms beyond that Traditional Institution, which now, in itself, seems so exotic and alluring to their offspring, and which beckons us to return...