Blog Template Theology of the Body: Merry Christmas for Us and Ours

Monday, December 22, 2008

Merry Christmas for Us and Ours


















Perhaps more than at any other time of the year, Christmas turns our hearts to the great gift of life in family, which our Lord has consecrated by His own birth into a human family. In celebration of family, my father sent my mother and sister and I off to Manhattan last week for a few days together of Christmas time in the city. We enjoyed the lights, the storefronts, and the opportunity to sing Christmas carols in unexpected places. 

What I enjoyed most were a few moments of watching the strong, protective gestures of a mother as she and my sister huddled close at the outset of a small northeastern blizzard. I think that it may be in such little gestures of trust and protection that we recall most poignantly that our omnipotent Lord has entrusted Himself to us in His Incarnation; the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us... precisely to walk with us, in our wintry days.