Blog Template Theology of the Body: Earth Day 2006

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Earth Day 2006


Our friend The Ranter had a good post on our proper duty to maintain reverence for the earth a while ago...

We should respect the Earth. But we are being prodigal with our inheritance, when we should be trying to preserve it to pass down for future generations. The prodigal son, of course, will be welcomed back with open arms... at least thats what the parable says... and there is some comfort to be taken in that... but the prodigal son came to a point of repentance... and I don't think America is there yet, and I know I am not there yet. Dubya spoke of America's 'addiction to oil' in the State of the Union address... and the word addiction means there is a dependence problem that needs to be overcome through repentance. But Dubya didn't seem intent on addressing the root of the problem, he seemed focussed on coming up with alternative supplies to feed the addiction. And the whole thing seems paralyzing. I don't think I can change until the world changes. Isn't that awful? So, God, please... Give us a reverence for the Earth!


The rest is here. I began recycling shortly thereafter...