Blog Template Theology of the Body: The Relatively Good Book: The Liberal Protestant Bible

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

The Relatively Good Book: The Liberal Protestant Bible

I have just finished my last Scripture survey course, and I learned a lot of things.

Not least I learned that, in the face of the Biblical "ambiguity," "multivocality," and "polyphany" involved in Forcing Scripture To Accomodate Our Culture in the most colonial way, I learned to be very smug about the whole business....

...but this is both 1) dull and 2) exceedingly unattractive.

There is a PhD student in Theology at Baylor who puts it beautifully-

"In the beginning was an affirming Word." (John 1:1)
"For whoever is ashamed of my and my words is to be commended for his tolerance and sensitivity to others." (Luke 9:26)
"Because you are lukewarm and neither cold nor hot, you have attained reason, and can engage in dialogue." (Revelation 3:16)
'What is Truth'? Pilate asked. What do you think it is?'" Jesus asked. (John 18:38)
"I am a way to master many truths about your life." (John 14:6)
"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, affirming them in the name of the Creator, Redeemer, and Sustainer." (Matthew 28:19)
"On hearing this, the disciples said: 'this is a hard saying- who can accept it?' Aware that His disciples were troubled, Jesus said "I sense that this has offended your sensibilities.' So He apologized and took it all back." (John 6:60-61)

For a moment, I thought he was serious. Read the rest here-

"Blessed are the relevant, for they shall worship in their own way.... blessed are the private, for they have refused to subject their motivations to the Church's discourse..."